Working with an 8(a) Alaska Native Company
Nisga’a Data Systems, LLC (NDS) is an Alaskan Native Corporation (ANC) and 8(a) certified Small Disadvantaged Business established in 2007. A subsidiary of Goldbelt Incorporated, NDS, has access to and works with other Goldbelt Incorporated 8(a) companies. There is a government-wide goal of awarding 23% of all prime contract dollars to small business, and 3% of total prime contract dollars for small disadvantaged businesses, including 8(a) concerns. Alaska Native Corporations (ANC) and Tribal owned 8(a) companies have special advantages:
- Large business have subcontracting goals calling for them to make sure a similar proportion of the subcontracts they award go to small and 8(a) businesses.
- The Department of Defense (DoD) has directed that prime contractors, who use Native American organizations and/or Native American-owned economic enterprises, shall be entitled to a 5 percent rebate when they subcontract work to an Native American organization and/or subcontract commercial products manufactured in whole or in part by an Native American organization.
- SBA and FAR regulations permit contracting agencies to “set-aside” contracts so only 8(a) firms are eligible to compete for them.
- The government can “sole source” 8(a) contracts to a single 8(a) company. Thus, ANC’s can receive Sole Source Awards with no Competition, no Prior Advertisement and no protests from competitors
- There is no Sole Source Dollar Threshold for ANCs 8(a). Thus ANCs can be awarded contracts with no upper ceiling based upon the maximum estimate of the requirement.
- The typical A-76 outsourcing process is minimized in direct conversion of activities and / or functions typically performed by DOD.
- The contract award process can be completed in weeks, versus the usual and lengthy contract acquisition process. This saves time and increases cash flow.
- Business concerns owned by a single ANC or Tribe are NOT considered “affiliates” of one another by virtue of their common ownership or control.